Friday, March 7, 2014

To Split Or Not To Split


To my favourite pub, The Three Q'S, for some excellent bitters and some interesting discussions with two visiting friends from Italy. (The Q's -- Quips, Quibbles and Quaffs; that is, a pub devoted to good discussions and fine fare, with no cacophony of modern "music" allowed to intrude.) So I and my companions, Gianni and Anita, sat down to enjoy the evening. I had known them when growing up in Naples, and it was good to re-new the friendship.

I was rather pleased with myself, having noted that a position outlined in a previous report had been taken up by the two Davids* in the International Policy publication. They argue for the splitting of Ukraine into an eastern component and a western component, citing numerous successful precedents, among them Northern Ireland and Ireland, and Slovakia and the Czech Republic.

Gianni at that point mentioned some less successful splits, referring to the Koreas and the former East Germany and West Germany. I countered with splits that came about through brute force were not in the same league as those that were thoughtfully negotiated.

"Of course", added Anita, "If Italy were to follow this route, it would be chaos. Can you imagine fifty-three countries all jostled together?"

"Fifty four," put in Gianni. "You forgot The Vatican."

From there we began an in-depth exploration of Italian reunification, with due regard for the efforts of Mazzini, Cavour, and Garibaldi. This was of interest to us, but not necessarily to the readers of this missive, who hadn't signed on for a course in Italian history.

At one point, however, Gianni asked me about Vladimir Putin, knowing I had had some past business arrangements with the man.

"Apparently," I said, "he has gone into a great sulk. Ukraine was to be an easy acquisition in terms of being influenced by Russia, and Yanukovich blew it."

"So what is he doing now?"

"I am told he spends a great part of each waking day watching re-runs of the Sochi Olympics."

And then it was time for another round.

--------------------------------------------------------------

* David Kilgour and David T. Jones -- Ed.

No comments: