Friday, May 2, 2014

Winning A Wager


I was feeling rather pleased with myself when I entered The Three Q's pub.* I ordered a pint of Double Diamond at the bar, and drink in hand, sauntered over to where my good friends had procured a table. I sat sat down, and said, "Well?"

My lawyer, Gina Favola (whom we call 'The Bean')  leaned forward and stated, "It's not official yet, Simone."

Well she would say that, wouldn't she.? I mean, she's a lawyer, after all. But both Gina and the my other friend in attendance, Rachel Levi, found themselves out $200 apiece, and were obviously not going down without a fight.

"Now Bean," I replied, "the leader of the NDP has stated she would not vote for the budget, and the Tories certainly won't.Therefore the Liberal Government will fall. And, I might add, not a moment too soon, or the name Ontario will quickly become 'Greece'. This was the bet, and you both stated that the Liberals would do anything to stay in power. Didn't work, did it?"

Rachel Levi interjected, "But the Bean has a point -- "

"What point?" Really and truly, these are some of my closest friends, but when it comes to paying up on a losing bet......

Rachel continued. "The point is that the leader of the Liberals can still alter the budget and make it even more favourable to the NDP. So, speaking in idiomatic terms, the fat lady hasn't yet sung. The bet is still running. And you know how desperately the Liberal leader wants to cling to power, and she also is well aware that most of the electorate is appalled at the spendthrift actions of her party."

"I don't deny the last point, but, mark my words, there will be an election. Probably in early June."

"And," The Bean put in, "when that election is announced, we will gladly pay up. But, Simone, in the words of 'Enry 'Iggins, "Just you wait."

So I will. With, unfortunately, a little less confidence than I had when I entered the pub. The liberal leader couldn't give her NDP rival anything more, could she? Liberal ethics would weigh against such a concession.

On the other hand, the phrase 'Liberal ethics' is an oxymoron.

I want another pint.

---------------------------------------------------------------

* In a previous missive, asked and answered. To save readers the trip back, the three Q's are Quips, Quibbles and Quaffs. -- Ed.















No comments: